The ACLU of Washington is working to ensure that no patient is refused access to lawful health care because of the religious doctrines of the institutions running hospitals, clinics, or other medical facilities. Health care facilities open to the general public should not refuse to provide reproductive health care and end-of-life care services; nor should they discriminate against LGBT patients and families. Religious ideology should not dictate which health care services a patient may choose.
- Groups concerned Walgreens's collaboration with religious health provider will limit consumer access to important medical services
- Catholic directives won't apply to new WSU Spokane health clinic
- ACLU Urges WSU Not to Fund Health Care Teaching Building Unless It Is Secular
- A Gain for Transparency: Hospitals Must Post Their Policies
What Is the Problem?
- Public Forum in Bellevue: Watch the Video
- Community Forum in Seattle: Watch the Video
- New report: Miscarriage of Medicine: The Growth of Catholic Hospitals and the Threat to Reproductive Health Care
- Health Service Restrictions – Some Examples (English) (Spanish)
- Overview: Restrictions on Health Care at Religiously Affiliated Medical Facilities
- Summary of Key Issues: Defending Health Care Access for All
How You Can Help
- Checklist of Services: Ask your hopital to fill it out
- Sample Letter: Religious-Secular Health Systems Affiliations
- Patients and Providers: Tell us about your own experiences
- Sign the Petition
ACLU-WA Letters on Hospital Mergers
- ACLU-WA and Allies Letter to Walgreens re Collaboration with Providence
- ACLU-WA Urges WSU Not to Allow Religious Doctrine to Restrict Health Care and Education
- Response to Governor’s Letter: State Leaders Must Ensure Mergers with Religious Hospitals Do Not Limit Patients’ Access to Medical Care
- Letter to Dept. of Health on Certificate of Need and Hospital Licensing Regulations
- Letter to the Dept. of Health regarding the proposed changes to the Certificate of Need
- Letter to Interlocal Commissioners re AGO
- Letter to Dept. of Health regarding Harrison-Franciscan merger
- Letter to San Juan County Hospital District
- Letter to Skagit County Hospital District
- Letter to Dept. of Health re Skagit County Hospital
- Letter to the ACLU
See the ACLU-WA’s Maps & Charts
- Map 1: Religiously affiliated hospitals in Washington State
- Map 2: Religiously affiliated hospitals in Washington State
- Associated Press: "Groups concerned about Walgreens' ties to Catholic hospital"
- ProPublica: U.S. Bishops Take Aim at Sterilization
- Seattle Magazine: The Catholic Church is Managing Many Local Hospitals. How Will it Affect Your Health Care?
- Huffington Post: WA State Case Study: A Difficult Miscarriage Made Worse by Hospital's Religious Restrictions on Care
- Crosscut.com: Why is Washington paying Catholic hospitals to take away healthcare?
- New York Times: When Bishops Direct Medical Care
- Pro Publica: Catholic Hospitals Grow, and With Them Questions of Care
- Seattle Times: AG: Public hospital districts can’t limit women’s reproductive services