Application Deadline: October 28, 2022
The American Civil Liberties Union of Washington (ACLU-WA) is seeking a Graphic Designer to design, produce, and coordinate digital and print publications, promotional materials, and multi-media. The position is a member of the Communications Department, reporting to the Community Relations Director, and working collaboratively with the entire office to meet the ACLU-WA’s design needs.
OVERVIEWThe ACLU of Washington is a leader among state affiliates of the American Civil Liberties Union, the country’s premier guardian of liberty. We work in courts, legislatures, and communities to protect and extend American rights to freedom, fairness, and equality. The ACLU is both nonprofit and nonpartisan. We have a staff of 45+ and are supported by more than 135,000 members, activists, and donors.
The ACLU of Washington is committed to ending racism in Washington State and throughout the country. This includes how we work with each other, and with our partners and allies in the communities we serve. We are committed to bringing anti-racism to all aspects of ACLU-WA's internal and external functions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring and human resources, strategic planning, ally, donor, and volunteer relations, Board and committee processes, and deciding what cases to litigate. We are looking for candidates who share this commitment to advancing racial justice, both internally in our organization and externally in the communities that we serve.
*Please note: the ACLU-WA is closely following the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19). Currently, we have begun transitioning back to the office and hope to open fully under our new Hybrid Work Policy later this year. We will continue to carefully monitor public health pronouncements and recommendations.
To aid remote work, we provide laptops, home office supplies, certain equipment, and technology support. You will need an effective WiFi connection and a way to reach you by phone. This position is eligible for either a work phone or phone stipend, as well as an additional $100 stipend each month to help cover any additional costs while working from home.
The ACLU is an equal opportunity employer. We value a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The ACLU encourages applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, disability, veteran status, socio-economic circumstance, or record of arrest or conviction. We do not conduct criminal background checks on our candidates. People of color, women, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
- Participation in ACLU-WA’s Race Equity Work. This may include utilizing ACLU-WA race equity tools, adopting ACLU-WA race equity practices, serving on the Race Equity Team or subcommittees, etc.
- Visual Identity. Maintain the visual identity of the ACLU-WA consistent with the national ACLU brand guidelines. Ensure consistency throughout the office in the use of the ACLU brand and style guide.
- Design & Production of Materials. Design and produce ACLU-WA print and digital publications and media, including social media, newsletters, the Annual Report, office-wide templates, event invitations, pamphlets, flyers, policy reports, the website, and more. Design and produce ACLU promotional materials and merchandise such as stickers, pins, T-shirts, posters, and more, as requested. Create or find images and graphic elements for projects.
- Collaboration. Communicate and work with colleagues across the organization as a thought partner in the design process.
- Media Asset Management. Proactively recommend creation or updates to existing assets. Maintain useful library of images, graphics, videos, templates, and design inputs.
- Creative Partners & Vendors. Work with creative contractors as assigned. Ensure that photographs are taken of important ACLU activities and clients. Coordinate production of videos and other media as assigned. Get bids and handle logistics for printing and mailing projects. (Website production is handled by the IT staff).
- Other Responsibilities. Handle other projects related to advancing public understanding of civil liberties as assigned. Assist the Communications Team as needed. Attend various ACLU functions. Help ensure smooth and effective office operations, and help maintain a positive, respectful, and welcoming work environment for employees and volunteers.
- Ideal candidates will have an awareness of, and willingness to engage in, the difficult and transformative work of challenging systems of oppression, institutional and structural racism, and implicit bias.
- At least 2 years of experience and skill in designing print publications and graphics for websites and social media using desktop publishing software. Design specific education and training may substitute for years of professional experience.
- An understanding of various printing processes and demonstrated design experience using Adobe products such as InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Understanding of accessibility standards and ability to design accessible materials.
- Proven ability to handle projects, set priorities, manage details, and follow-through independently.
- Flexibility and a willingness to take on tasks large and small.
- Demonstrated administrative and organizational skills, including planning, keeping organized files, and problem solving. Experience in working cooperatively with groups.
WORK ENVIRONMENTThe ACLU-WA office is generally open between the hours of 9a.m. and 5p.m. and is located in downtown Seattle. The physical demands and work environment described below represent those required and encountered by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Able to input information into a computer for long periods of time.
- Able to remain stationary for extended periods.
- Able to assess information communicated through a computer.
- Able to work some evenings, weekends, and holidays.
- Able to periodically work long and extended hours.
This job description provides a general but not comprehensive list of the essential responsibilities and qualifications required. It does not represent a contract of employment. The ACLU reserves the right to change the description and/or posting at any time without advance notice. This position is “non-exempt” under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITSThe ACLU of WA is dedicated to centering equity in all aspects of the organization and, as such, has adopted a salary scale for measuring how to best compensate its employees. The salary for this position is $63,901 - $67,915. A range indicates the intention to accommodate those with varying years of relevant experience, as determined by the salary scale.
Benefits include fifteen vacation days, thirteen sick days, fifteen holidays, fully paid employee medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance, a generous retirement plan, student loan reimbursement, family care and adoption assistance, life insurance, and an ORCA card, the regional transportation pass.
APPLICATION PROCEDURETo apply, please submit a cover letter and résumé on our online job portal. In your cover letter, please explain ways in which you satisfy the skills and qualifications specified above. We also invite applicants to include in their letter information about how their background and/or experiences could contribute to the diversity, cultural vitality, and perspective of our staff and advocacy work.
Applications will be accepted until October 28, 2022, at which time the job announcement will be marked as “closed” on our website at www.aclu-wa.org/careers.
HIRING TIMELINEWe will schedule interviews with qualified candidates after the application deadline and hope to have the selected candidate start in November.
The ACLU of Washington comprises two separate corporate entities, the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington, Inc. and the American Civil Liberties Union of Washington Foundation. The two corporations share the same overall mission, office space, and employees. This job posting refers collectively to the two organizations under the name “ACLU of Washington”.